Friday, June 28, 2013

St. Charles awaits...

St. Charles turned out to be a very nice town. Quite honestly the trail into town was not much to crow about as the railroad right of way made its path into town through some of the more industrialized areas.  As we got closer to town more and more folks were on the trail yet the trail seemed to get narrower and narrower to the point where you had to pass single file. Runners and walkers shared the crushed limestone path with those of us atop our spoked steeds. Today's route was only 26 miles so we arrived in time for an early lunch at the Trailside Cafe and Bike Shop. Once you actually find an open establishment the food is remarkably good, or perhaps anything would taste good to two hungry cyclists.

The trail ends in a beautiful park across from St. Charles historic Main St. section. Cobblestone streets go on for several blocks with all sorts of unique specialty shops. As I write this I'm perched on a shaded park bench while Sophie avails herself of some quality girl time perusing the wares  available in the boutiques. Thank god we are on bikes and don't have room to carry anything else other than our essentials, otherwise I'm afraid to see what she might come back with.

The weather, now that we are officially done with our ride, has turned slightly cooler and I think I have the best seat in town. The street scene really would lend itself to the painter's brush and easel and Colorado's Aspen doesn't have anything on this quaint section of St. Charles. 

The flowers here are incredible and Colorado gardeners can only dream about the kind of blooms I see all around me. I guess the heat and humidity don't bother the foliage as much as the people and to call it lush and green would be an understatement.

Our shuttle back to Clinton is running late which is okay. On all the rides we have done we never let a good park bench go to waste and the one I'm on will be no exception. It's apparently a three hour drive by motor car back to the western terminus of the trail in Clinton. I'm glad we got to see the State at a much slower pace. Whizzing along at 70+ mph in my book is no way to create memories, and even the sound of traffic is slightly grating to the ear after 5 days on the KATY trail. I'm sure we'll get used to it again, more's the shame, but for now I'm still in trail mode with my feet itching to turn the pedals a few more miles down the path. Alas, our journey ends here, but these five days have introduced us to a new State and a wonderful trail. Thank you KATY for allowing us to visit if just for a short while. Perhaps we'll meet again under hopefully more clement conditions. I hear the Fall colors here are spectacular...

No comments:

Post a Comment